Sunday, May 13, 2012

Getting 200 at The Lady in Black

Congratulations to Jimmy Johnson on snapping a short win less streak. A very special congrats to car owner Rick Hendrick on his 200th Cup win.  I think having it come at NASCAR's oldest super speedway, Darlington must make it "very special"

Darlington and the "off the circuit" Rockingham are my favorite tracks. I love tracks that make men out of boys, and I guess woman (Danica) out of girls. Darlington has had some of the closest finishes in NASCAR history.  Even when the racing isn't so close, like in the first 2/3rds of Saturday's race, I love watching the drivers struggle to stay perfect at a track that simply won't allow that.  It is more than fitting that one of the toughest race drivers to ever live, Cale Yarborough, was honored.  To quote Darrel Waltrip's Saturday tweet (paraphrase)  as a child Cale came into Darlington under the fence, he left it going over the fence.

I think today's NASCAR has by far the superior physical athletes to those older days.  Still in a world nowadays of teaching drivers public speaking and sponsor representation, of drivers who crash each other when NASCAR says "boys have at it", and lay off each other when NASCAR wants their races to end quicker, I miss real drivers who just raced and let the chips fall where they may.

No comments:

Post a Comment