Monday, February 25, 2013

The Daytona 500

Okay I can hear it now. How boring.! Follow the leader….too hard to pass. Fair enough. Oh wait….it’s the same fans that hated tandem racing. That’s not racing. Oh wait…..it’s the same fans that hated the four abreast racing with the lead changing twice a lap. At some point there are people who just need to visit the possibility that they actually don’t like racing. If you would just turn to soccer, or maybe pro wrestling, the rest of us could enjoy the silence of the whiners, and the noise of the engines.

You no doubt have heard about and/or seen the last lap crash during Saturday’s Nationwide race. Very spectacular and sadly there were some fans hurt. NASCAR and other series will have to work on a way to fully trap the debris from crashes, inside the track, not in the grandstands. Of course the lawyers are lining up at the hospitals and homes of the injured as I write this. Heck they were there before the injured fans were. There is no misfortune too gruesome that we shouldn’t fill the pockets of another ambulance chaser. Also known by some as lawyers or attorneys.

I enjoyed the race. My favorite type of season in any racing series is one with a wide variety of tracks, and races and finishes. Close ones, dominating performances, lots of lead changes, difficulty getting the lead. Variety is the spice of life and I live for that. You will notice that I write about all forms of racing. Off road racing and drag racing will appear eventually and I will have covered almost everything.

Congratulations to Jimmy Johnson. He and Chad Knaus are smart and talented. I will also say that at least at Daytona, Danica Patrick belongs with the world’s elite drivers. She never missed a beat all day. The shuffle at the end of the race that dropped her to eighth is something that I have seen Johnson, Gordon, Harvick and others also have happen.

My opinions on racing and other subjects are just that.....my opinions.  I offer them as someone who was once and insider, where racing is concerned, but is now an outsider.  Hence forth the name of the blog.....The Outsider

No comments:

Post a Comment