Sunday, March 18, 2012

Visiting Yesterday......Today

I’ve mentioned before that much of my car racing negatives, slides and prints from 1971 through 2001, when I switched to digital, do not exist anymore. There are a variety of reasons for this. I recently found a box with some fairly old pictures, but unfortunately they were all faded, scratched and all around bad prints, instead of negs and slides. I thought I would show a few copies of these images even though I have done little to them other than clone a few scratches out.

The black & white pictures below were made during the 1987 Miller Nationals at Slinger, WI Speedway. The top photo shows NASCAR star Ernie Irvan #4, and local star Scott Hansen.  The second shot is of local hotshoe #93 John Ziegler, and the great NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt Sr.  Earnhardt did not run well but a few weeks later took this short track car to victory at LaCrosse Raceway in Wisconsin.


The next two shots were ( I think) also made in the 1980s. These wingless sprint cars are from the California Racing Association, and are on a Midwest tour stop at Hales Corners Speedway in WI. I am not sure of the names of the drivers in the top black & white shot, but I suspect that the white car is that of Jimmy Sills. The car in the second photo belongs to Tony Sheppard.


This is a 1980s shot of Glenn Allen Jr. in an ASA race at the Milwaukee Mile.


Our final picture is a terrible copy of a so, so shot, of a rather ugly car.  The car is driven by someone named Terry.  This was made in 1974 at Englewood (long gone) Speedway in Denver, Colorado.   I was the track photographer there.  This type of car was known as a modified, fully modified or super modified at different times.  I found some prints of much nicer cars driven by Joe Lehman, and Billy Ager respectively.   They were offset roadsters.  Unfortunately those wrinkled and stained prints were not savable.  This particular car looks more like a 1964 model than 1974.


I plan one or two more posts on auto racing and then I will move on to other subjects.  I appreciate your patronage.
The Outsider

No comments:

Post a Comment